Wednesday 10 October 2012

Groanings that words cannot express

Earlier this year my small group was reading through Romans and a particular verse jumped out at me:
Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groaning too deep for words.
Romans 8:26 ESV
I was immediately reminded of a prayer/praise that I had written whilst driving home from Columbus. I had been praying for my friends who were all still quite broken up over the recent deaths of a few close friends (Random rant: I realize that whenever I reference the events of last autumn I say them as if they did not also greatly affect me…which is clearly not true.) and I found myself engulfed in inexplicable tears. Nearly to the point of pulling over. Almost as suddenly as I had begun I stopped crying and it felt as though a huge weight had been lifted from my shoulders. I wrote in my notebook:
 I am so thankful to serve a God who answers my prayers even when they come out as tears.
I love the way that God chooses to talk to us, but I also love how intricately woven our minds and the holy spirit are when he is in charge of our lives.

Nights like tonight when the reminder of the things that have been ripped from me and the many times that I have have failed, all I can do is cry out to God knowing that through my tears the Holy Spirit will intervene and translate the innermost prayers of my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment