Sunday 21 October 2012

Orionid

There was a meteor shower tonight. I saw a couple dozen shooting stars, and that was lovely. I feel most connected to God when I am under the night sky, so naturally meteor showers are one of my favorite things in the world. Tonight's, however, was about something more. A friend of mine recently went--well, is still going through--a pretty tough break up. We are not particularly close, but I care a lot about him so when he mentioned the meteor shower, unprovoked, I knew he wanted to see it and that he wanted to see it with me. When the time came to leave I did feel a bit badly because I left friends behind, but I knew the significance of listening ears when life seems difficult. It took priority. We sat outside in the chilly night air for about half an hour and then he just started to talk. He told me all about his relationship and how it ended. He told me his hopes and fears, his frustrations and his confusion. Ultimately, that was what it was all about. He didn't understand and as much as I wanted to do so I couldn't give him answers. I prayed for him silently under the stars and I offered every bit of advice that I could. Just before we decided it was a bit too cold, however, and that we should turn in he said, "I haven't even wished on a star yet. I've been too busy belly-aching." I smiled and we waited for a few more stars to fall before packing up our chairs and heading inside.
It wasn't a grand moment. No big gestures were made, but I drove home happy because I'd had the opportunity to sit under the stars and experience God's majesty whilst gaining a better understanding of a friend's heart.
It was a beautiful night.

No comments:

Post a Comment