Friday 14 September 2012

Do they not have pen and paper where you are?

Why is it that written notes and letters are so rare these days? I mean, I understand that text messaging, emails, facebook, etc are easier, but who  receives a letter and says, "Why on earth would this person waste time writing to me??" and tosses it in the bin? Quite the contrary. When we get a letter in the mail it is like Christmas. You're floored that someone took the time to think of you. To write to you Being the writer gives a similar thrill. You imagine the joy on the recipients face upon receiving your note and you are filled with a sense of joyous satisfaction. There is something so much more personal about taking the time to write out how you feel to someone you care about and pop it in the mail. It requires patience, but it also helps to cultivate it. Letters, postcards, and notes are not something you tend to just toss aside once you've read them. You can keep them forever and relive that brief moment of happiness. I wish that letter writing were not nearly obsolete, but I guess that just gives me more incentive to keep writing.
When I'm having a bad day, I read this box of letters that were given to me by some pretty great friends just before I moved from my college town. It certainly brightens my day just seeing them.



No comments:

Post a Comment