Wednesday 5 December 2012

what is man that You are mindful of him?

Psalm 8 holds a special place in my heart. Sometimes when I find myself in complete and utter awe at the beauty of the world around me I cannot help but to think, "When I look at the heavens, the works of Your fingers, the moon and the stars which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him and the son of man that you care for him?" (v.3-4).
We are surrounded by such beauty and we take it for granted, but even more than that we are so incredibly tainted that it baffles me that God loves us so much that he gave us these beautiful sunrises and sunsets, the stars, the moon, the oceans and rivers to destroy and corrupt with our brokenness. When I was a child growing up in Connecticut I remember playing in a wood behind my house that held my own secret grotto. There was a small pond with a plethora of colorful pebbles and trees that made a small canopy over it. I would go down there and sit and marvel at the beauty of everything around me. It was the place I felt most at home. As I have gotten older I still find solace in nature, but it is not so prevalent. I am more apt to curl up in a comfy chair with a book  when I need to lose myself than to climb a tree. I am not sure how that changed, but it is a part of life. I see the adventure that books hold and as I am in a stagnant stage of my life (adventure wise...spiritually I am on a bit of a roller-coaster. Woo!) true adventures are harder to come by and I also am less inclined to go alone and love the idea of having someone share my adventures with me.
I am incredibly thankful for the life that I have here. For the friends that I have made that love and challenge me every single day. For my church that has helped me grow exponentially, changing the way I view myself and the church in general. For the opportunity that I have to sing worship twice every week and for the beautiful ladies (and Daniel) at the assisted living home who remind me of the importance of losing yourself in worship to God. There is so much here that I love and am thankful for and if God wants to keep me here longer I will not argue
but I'm ready for a real change.
I know that God has something big in store for me. I know this why he is teaching me patience, and I am trying, but the urge to move on is so strong I can barely contain it. I want to see mountains. I want to travel the world. I want adventure, and I'm not going to find those things here. This has been a year of tremendous growth. I could not thank God enough for all that he has done for me, and for that reason (and because I know without a doubt in my heart that I can trust his promises) I am fine with waiting on him, but that voice in my head keeps singing to me, urging me to spread my wings and fly on.

No comments:

Post a Comment