Monday 25 March 2013

Oceans

You know those songs that you listen to and they kind of leave you on your knees in both humility and praise? Sometimes we just need to be shaken by God. To be reminded of our own futility and our breathless desire for him.
This morning I woke up and decided to listen to Hillsong’s new album Zion.  My friends Caleb and Rachel have been telling me to listen to it for ages, but I was stubborn and held out on buying it until last night. The night before, Marilee and I had this great chat about the different ways that God speaks to us and how they do not make our relationship with him any less powerful or real than the others. The way that I hear God’s voice is often through what I like to call “chance chances” (I got this term from the book of Ruth because when she happened across Boaz’ field the Hebrew for that moment translates to “her chance chanced” and I think that is quite beautiful) Moments that at the time seem to be mere coincidence, but in retrospect reveal God’s providence in our lives. So my chance chanced upon the song Oceans (Where Feet May Fail) and my heart could not have needed another song more. It is a song that describes beautifully this past year of my life. From falling on my face with my own pride and sin, to growing closer to God to doubting myself and my faith to realizing that if I know nothing else in this life I know that God is good and that is enough.
This song reminded me of where I was and where I am going and of one of my greatest prayers. It culminates in the repetition of a fervent prayer for aligning my heart to God’s and a promise to call upon Him and to trust him to keep me in his grace because in the end that is truly more than enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment