Monday 4 November 2013

Living intentionally

I was reading an email this morning from a group that I follow. 
The woman writing was talking about an evening she had with friends—intentionally sharing their brokenness, being vulnerable and drinking tea. 
They talked for hours.
 In the end she asked these questions: 
“Who are your people? With whom are you vulnerable enough to share your struggles and ask for prayer and accountability? With whom are you intentionally doing life?”

Funny word, intentionally. I wonder how often we do life intentionally? I feel as though more often than not we just happen through life and hope for the best. 
Do we intentionally make time for the people we truly care about? The people that help us feel alive and so more connected to God? Do we intentionally value each second knowing that we can never retrieve it?
I can honestly say I do not. 
For the past few months I have made feeble attempts to be more intentional about my friendships. Sending emails and letters 
(instead of facebook which I have seriously considered taking a real break from for a year or so...) taking time to chat with people who listen and understand, 
avoiding situations and unfortunately people who do not seem to view time and community in the way that I do
(not that their way is to be scoffed at, but there is something simple and beautiful about two people spending time together with similar views about that time and its importance.)
I have been trying to take more time to enjoy the things that I love. 
You know, those little things that remind you of who you are. 
I've been reading, knitting, spending more time outside. 
It's delightful what life is like when we take the time to intentionally live to see every moment as important and not something to be wasted.
I don't have an answer for what it looks like for you to live that way, but I do know that those simple questions made me want to approach life a bit more intentionally tomorrow. 
I am hoping I can say the same for the next day and every day after that, 
but I am fickle and the next day I might forget :)

1 comment:

  1. Intentionality, oh it escapes me. I have a lifelong habit of living by whim. I know my days would go so much better if I planned them out. I went to Storyline conference last month and we even got a resource that is supposed to help you preplan your day, I just need to use it!

    ReplyDelete