Sunday 16 September 2012

Not to us...

I have been trying to make memorizing scriptures a priority in my life for multiple reasons.
One: I do not believe that I am an effective witnessing tool if I cannot use scriptures without looking them up. If God's word is so important in my life it should be on my heart.
Two: I strongly believe that having God's Word on your heart makes it easier to cope when your heart breaks. He seeps into the broken places and heals better than anything in this world.
Three: The more I know scripture, the more I fall in love and the more I apply it to my daily life. I have become a different person in these past few months (can't believe it has almost been a year!) and that is only because I told my God that I was sorry for fighting and I wanted to trust and follow all of the plans he has for me. This included knowing his word.

The first verses that I memorized were Psalm 1: 1-3
Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked nor stands in the way of sinners nor sits in the seat of scoffers, but his delight is in the law of the Lord and on his law he meditates day and night.
and Galatians 1:10:
Am I now seeking the approval of man or God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man I would not be a servant of Christ.
I chose these verses because I know that I have failed God so many times when it comes to "choosing" between His Will for my life and pleasing the world. I am a people pleaser. the moment I stopped concerning myself with worldly things (though this is admittedly still a struggle!) things in my life made a drastic change. I built stronger friendships (not that the ones I'd made in the past weren't strong, but the ones I was making here were anything but...), I got a great job, and I became more financially secure. It was as if God smiled at me and said, "See how much better things are when you follow my will for your life?" I know that hardships will come my way, but for that reason I also memorized 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 some of my favorite verses. 

At the moment, however, these are the two verses God has placed on my heart to memorize. Psalm 115:1
"Not to us, O Lord, not to us But to your name be the glory because of your steadfast love and righteousness." There is nothing good in me except for what comes from God. I am human, and so susceptible to pride, but I do not want the glory for the goodness in my life. I want my life to be a walking light that points to God (my favorite verse is Matthew 5:16 which also inspired the tattoo on my foot).
Also James 1:2-4
Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.
I would love to be complete in the eyes of my Savior. I know that I am being tested and I know that I do not always pass his tests. Having these verses on my heart will serve as constant reminder to keep him first and foremost in my life and that if I call upon him he will guide me through every test. every trial. 
I know this is something I will need in the coming months.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment